11 Şubat 2012 Cumartesi

The story behind buying this pile of rock

It was christmas 2010. We were exploring the northern part of the Aegean coast of Turkey. We visited Assos, the ancient greek town, where Aristotle started his own academy after leaving the Platonic Academy in Athens. We were planing to stay overnight and continue driving but ended up staying longer and spending the christmas night there; Diarmuid took over the kitchen and cooked the turkey, I took over the restaurant, made mulled wine in the fireplace of the fish restaurant Yildiz Saray, where we spent our week. We had a nice christmas dinner with the owner, the crew and the other guests. We like the area so much that we found ourselves looking at properties for sale. We were looking for a nice olive groove over looking at the Aegean sea and the Greek island Lesvos. The two places we fell in love with was already gone. I stayed in touch with the real estate company in the area. It was receiving calls about new places he found and at last I decided to drive there early summer to see if anything good for us. The place I looked were more than we could afford. I was just about to loose my hope when Fikret, the real estate guy, mentioned about this place. I went to see the place dragging my feet but when I see the view of the valley between the land and the sea, my eyes opened wide, I decided right away, we need to buy this place. Actually, Derm had no idea at that moment, he was in New York busy earning money, so that his wife can go and do property shopping :) It was not to hard to persuade my husband about buying this place because it is obviously a good investment. So we got it.
We have been discussing about the ideas, how to fix or re-build this place. We have been reading a lot. I have been on the net surfing for more ideas. We decided to go green; we want to build an ecological house; we will be recycling the stones from the old house, we want to make sure it will be energy efficient. We are hoping to start the project when I got back to Turkey, early march. Hoping to have an easy-going period with the construction. Happy to hear your opinions.

1 yorum:

  1. I'm very excited for you guys and can't wait to hear how you are going to minimize your footprint - solar panels? geothermal? Wind turbine or tidal power? What is the temperature like during the coldest part of the year?

    YanıtlaSil